Friday, March 6, 2015

my week in avocado

This avocado crisis is not okay.  
I mean, it's not like I eat this stuff everyday, but it's nice to know it's there (at a reasonable price) when I want and need it.
So I caved at Sam's Club, and got a bag of five, they all ripened at the same time, and I had avocado every day of the week.  
"Deep dish" caprese pizza with the same crust mix as this time that just definitely had to be used.  I only put "deep dish" in quotations because it really wasn't supposed to be that but I had a pie tin and much homemade tomato sauce (frozen, thawed, and pureed with Audrey's heavenly blender) and once I started assembling the pie, it just sort of happened.  Whole leaves of basil and lots of mozzarella thrown in there.  Ate half of it straight out of the oven with an avocado.  Ate the other half cold at 11pm when I couldn't sleep because I have no control over the temperature in my apartment.  Equally satisfying both times.
I've mentioned my obsession with caprese, yeah?  The best part (occasionally) about having to deliver a parking check to MPM every month is that if I go on Fridays, they usually have Einstein bagels - one of those food items I only indulge on when they are free at some event or seminar or whatever.  I always get an asiago one and a sweet one (cinnamon crunch from Panera, always and forever) if I can.  Well, I ate my sweet one at work and saved the asiago one for a special occasion.  This is that special occasion.
Fried egg, mozzarella, pretty and plump tomatoes, large basil leaves, and buttery avocado.  Doesn't even need a sauce or spread, but I drizzled a bit of cherry balsamic on top.  I acknowledge that cherry seems to be an odd player here, but it fit perfectly.  Mostly because you only need a bit for a tangy sweetness that complemented the tomatoes well.
If I could eat this thing everyday, I would.
Let me just introduce this mess by saying broken jasmine rice does not hold up well to longer cook times.  I think anyone could've told you that.  I should've listened to me when I told me that.  But it was the cheapest of the rices - what's a grad student to do?  Anyways, I attempted to make Spanish rice with tomato sauce, red peppers, and olives (would've been fantastic if I had capers and anchovies, but it's fine).  It was really just tomato mush.  Couldn't even pass it off as a risotto.  Maybe a failed risotto - the kind that would get me kicked off of Top Chef.
Well, point is, I ate that with an equally failed fried egg and some slices of avocado.  There might have been too many soft textures, but I might have not really cared.
Other times I didn't feel need to be documented:
avocado and Domino's - pizza and avo, never fails
avocado and Southwestern scramble - kind of obvious, isn't it?
avocado with salt and pepper
And to think my roommate was at a loss for how to use this alligator pear* outside of guacamole.  I'm not going to say that's absurd but...
*Yes, I did Wiki "avocado," and yes I did a kick out of this new fact I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment