Sunday, November 8, 2015

weekend at Jahred's

Why are all small things cute?  Is this really just a female phenomenon?  How can inanimate objects, un-personified objects, be cute?
Not sure, but doesn't matter.
LOOK AT THIS TINY WHISK.
Anyways, my favorite third wheel situation with my favorite... well.. yeah... they're in my top 3 couple extended into a full weekend when Jules's "grammar school" (this is a novel phrase for me) buds came to town.



The first night was all deliberation and little action, but we ended up at Sujeo's late night Noodle Bar because it involved minimal effort and time spent outside as it's conveniently located right under Jared's apartment.
Our noodle master's name was Phil (not Tyler), and I had to go with the Shio Ramen with temomi ramen noodles, radishes (in sliced and nest form), grilled pork belly yes please, katsuobushi salt, soft-boiled egg absolutely, duck AND pork fat stop it you're killing me, double stock broth tastes like the ocean by their own claim.  All good things, including the chewier noodles and savory smokey broth.  Totally groan worthy.  Snagged some extra egg halves from Mike.  And got a instructional demo from Phil about julienning purple daikon and dunking it in ice water so it forms a pretty purple crunchy nest. 
The mood of this photo is who-is-this-and-what-does-she-want while Jared noms on a generous leg of fried chicken and Jules starts on the special ramen of the night.  They acknowledged me in previous frames, I promise.  And that's about when we turned way down for the night.
Beautiful view of the cotton candy sky from the top of the [Madison] world while Jules and Mike made the greatest apple crumble with Eplegaarden apples and Southern Season spices the next day.
And much hot apple cider was consumed with Fireball and Goldschlager.  You're too good to me.
Once the third grammar school bud arrived (I think her name was... Britt, but I can't be sure), we followed Jared past the attached coffee shop, past the wine bar, down the wood paneled, warmly lit halls to Julep, a little piece of the South in this random Midwest city I found myself in.  I know I poke fun at the South (because what else are you supposed to think when dudes do in fact sit on their porches in rural NC and watch you run), but there's no denying that I miss the food from time to time.
I'm not really sure how to describe the decor.  Maybe the South of Kentucky is different than my mind's quintessential Southern hospitality of Charleston and Savannah.  But either way, I liked it.
I kind of couldn't resist going for the pot of chicken liver pate with onion jam and toast rectangles.  Hidden under a nice thick layer of fat, the pate was subtle enough to polish off the whole jar.
And it's been way too long since I've had some oysters.  Though I often feel skeptical of seafood in this land locked except for fresh water bodies, the only thing that made sense with chicken liver pate was obviously refreshing and slightly spicy grilled oysters with a hint of tang.
Other notes and thoughts:
The one bite of Perlou was amazing.
Satisfying mac and cheese - don't worry about the 'small plates' menu status.
Cutest (and super strong) little mint julep cups.
Amazing outside courtyard that reminded me of Straw Valley.

We came home to that aforementioned apple crumble, a huge chunk of which stored away very nicely in my second dessert stomach.

Would've gone into a heavy food coma had it not been for loud Disclosure and awkward apartment dancing... which led to awkward club dancing that hadn't happened since those long gone undergrad days.

No comments:

Post a Comment