Wednesday, November 11, 2015

who's cream?

Julia's cream.
I'm definitely the less interesting roommate when I meet new people with Jules at my side.
"What do you study?"
"Food Science."
"Cool, so what do you do?"
"I study ice cream."
"Ermahgad, that's awesome!  And what about you?"
"Uh... proteins."
"Oh, that's... cool, too."
"Yup."


I guess I could try to make myself seem more interesting.
"I study... the proteins you probably hate and avoid consuming at all costs unless you don't buy into the hype that the more '[blank] free' claims a product has, the better it is for you... or unless you don't have legitimate allergies...
... but not gluten, so actually I'm not that interesting, sorry."

ANYWAYS
Studying ice cream isn't as glamorous as it sounds, as I'm learning... but it does mean we casually have two liters of heavy cream chilling in our freezer at home.  And that's only because she already gave away some number of liters to other people.
And so all the people associated with her are fervently making butter.
I put it off until our last grill out of the year because it seemed like too much work.
But it's really not bad.  And a great excuse to skip arms day at the gym, right?  Beware of droplets of cream splattering every which way though.  Maybe wear something that already needs to be laundered.  Maybe lay down some papers.  Pour some cream into a large bowl and attack it with a hand mixer until it looks like whipped cream.  Then keep going until it gets chunky.  And keep going still until all that buttermilk oozes out.  Use buttermilk immediately for waffles the next day, especially if you have an Olaf waffle maker like Bianca (I did not do this and my milk went sour - not a pleasant smell).
You can wash the butter by working and squeezing and folding it with cold water until it's completely clear.  But I had no such patience or time before heading out to claim my burger.
So I mixed in salt, cumin, and the excess of dried dill from Jared's CSA.
And paired it with (grilled) sweet corn and radishes.
So fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment