Sunday, August 9, 2015

if bean bag chairs could be woven from bread

This little bun sits so unassuming.  All alone on this oversized plate.  Just a few seconds earlier, there were ten more of its identical buddies surrounding it like a wild mushroom patch or a collection of fat cells.  Puffy balls concealing a golden secret.


流沙包

How have I never tasted your deliciousness before?!?!?
 The pineapple bun crust caught my attention from the start.  The first bite was not unlike biting into a cloud.  And then the sandy, salted egg yolk custard starts flowing, oozing out like molten lava.  Salty and sweet all wrapped up in an impossibly airy carb sweater.  How the fuck does Nani (aka the only source for dim sum in Madison) do it?
But before I attempt to recreate the magical puff that I wish was 100x bigger so I could sink my entire body into it... gotta start with the basics:
Milk buns via my new reference for Chinese classics.
With these, I did something I rarely do.
I followed the recipe exactly.
...Er, okay, that's a small white lie.
I used almond milk instead of beef milk.
But it'a not my fault!  I never have fresh squeezed beef milk on hand.  At least I got the heavy cream.
But it turned out just fine.
So beautiful.  It even takes away from the clutter of flour and spices I accumulated (moving is going to be such a bitch).
I maintain that Asian breads are the best breads (and yes, naan is totally included).

No comments:

Post a Comment