Tuesday, August 11, 2015

desk lunch series

Too much of my brain is devoted to planning out my week's meals to ensure I have a decent lunch every day, so I don't pass out while handling chemicals or enzymes or glassware. - but not too decent or I'll fall into a nap coma and wake up with drool on my papers (you think I'm kidding).  

I like to make lunch interactive for the slower days.  A couple leaves of butter lettuce in one container.  Southwestern quinoa scramble in another.  And a whole avocado to be dismantled with the set of Marketplace silverware I keep in my desk.  Adds up to lettuce wraps on a tupperware lid while staring at numbers on Excel.


The stress of career season is only alleviated by the free pizza/sub dinners at info sessions.  And then all the display products that recruiters so gruesomely force on us poor voraciously hungry students... it's really tough.
Yogurt varieties I've never heard of from Chobani.
That Clif bar that's still waiting for me to go on an outdoor adventure worthy of eating it.
A box of General Mills Cheerios that lasted about half a day.
Vanilla coffee syrup from Kerry.
So much cheese because never enough cheese from Saputo and Sargento.
I was also able to make brownies and cookies thanks to Smucker's.
My very first score, though, was a Velveeta box from Kraft.
Which became several lunches inspired by here with broccoli instead of mushrooms and pork.  Not the most appetizing looking thing but... my gochujang paste is pretty oxidized.  
Featuring tattoo musings and a permanent bite scar.

Average and boring lunches (cinnamon oatmeal with a container of blueberries) for the days when my mind is more preoccupied with things like how to Tetris everything back into my car...and how there had been some sort of rodent occupying my empty bedroom.
Tip: keep a giant emergency bag of instant oatmeal in back of desk.

Essentials for living alone on a grad student budget: cans of tomato sauce, potatoes, frozen veggie of choice,  flour, rice, onions...
and cans of sardines.
My favorite Internet person strikes again.  Except I only had mirin.  And a baby snack cucumber.
Had to close all the books that were open to an introduction about foams for six days.  Such progress was made.
Sometimes when I watch TV on my lunch break, I chuckle at the jokes... and then I explain to myself in my head why it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment