Friday, August 17, 2012

tell a story - be memorable

  Sunday nights in summer are all about FNS aka judging people/ranting about people we hate/drooling over the food.  The most annoying people are the ones who don't really have a personality (because the fail cooks will eventually leave anyways).
And the advice is always the same: make it relate-able, tell a story about your family, don't be so rehearsed, etc etc.
My dysfunctional family doesn't really have family recipes (that I know of), and I never really created food memories with my parents as a kid (well aside from dumplings but what kind of Asian child would I be if I never did that?)



But that doesn't mean certain foods don't have a sort of "madeleine effect" on me.

Chinese steamed scallion buns with fermented bean curd
 馒头和酱豆腐
A jar of the delicious bean curd was sitting on the kitchen table, but I had absolutely nothing to eat it with.  Not even store-bought-frozen buns.
Luckily, I'm now realizing how easy many Chinese recipes actually are, so banged out a couple uneven buns for lunch time.
This was and still is the ideal breakfast (with variations).  Weekday mornings were always too busy for a proper breakfast, and it'd usually involve something quick and American, but weekend mornings... when I'd drowsily make my way downstairs while fighting off a head rush to find the table set with a plate stacked high with steamed buns and various pickled and fermented sides in miniature bowls.  Breakfast always felt like it lasted four to five hours on these days.  I'd eat half the plate (because there was no one to out compete me) before realizing my stomach just might explode.

**********
Fast forward a couple months when I finally get around to posting this // becoming aware I never finished FNS, which I was actually curious about.  Looks like Justin won - kind of can't wait to watch his show when I get home.

Speaking of home...
I almost cried in the middle of biochem this morning.
Don't really like that I won't be able to see him until December - too far.

I can't get as excited about food here as I do at home.  Maybe because the only food show they have Master Chef - not enough.
First stop when I get home... NYC for Do or Dine.  Looks fucking amazing.  Wish I thought to look it up earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment