Monday, February 27, 2017

stats and luck

The best thing about meeting new people is the chance that they offer you new perspectives somewhere down the line.


I remember after undergrad, I was telling Ann about my flitting idea to write a book where each chapter was dedicated to one person who has had a lasting influence on my life. I couldn't really decide when I'd actually write a book like this or if I would at all... assuming people will constantly be in and out of my life and finding new ways to exert their influence.
So the shortest month of the year is not yet over, and I've now lost my wallet twice in 2017. At a crowded event for a high school fundraiser. Not sure if the fact that I know the drill makes the situation slightly better or worse. Definitely sure I just hate myself regardless. And I won't bore you with all the details of how the rest of the night didn't go right. Just know that it was a good example of, "When it rains, it pours."
At least there was someone there to remind me that some things aren't worth worrying about.
Some events just aren't connected.
Driving forces are not intentional.
And luck does not balance out un-luck.
I can't imagine I'll stop taking comfort in karma. I probably won't stop reminding myself about the things that turned out to be worth it. Or not. But at least I'm getting better at just accepting it. And acknowledging the times timing was on my side.
[Inspired by a jar I saw at Craftsman and Wolves.]

No comments:

Post a Comment