Wednesday, February 1, 2017

imperfect

Alicia rolls her eyes every time I talk about Imperfect Produce, and it's entirely possible I become a walking ad for it when prompted. But it's kind of the most reliable thing in my life these days, since I still haven't figured out a good grocery store routine (yes, this is very important). So it's nice to have a box of freshness delivered to my doorstep whichever Saturday I need it.


When I saw this, I knew immediately what to do with the butternut, apples, and bouquet garni from my box one week. Threw in two sweet potatoes for more orange. And I'm not sure what ordering two slices of pepper bacon from the overpriced local grocer in my neighborhood makes me. So obviously single? Somewhat pretentious? Super Bay Area? I don't know, but you know what I mean?
Well, anyways. In addition to that excitement you feel when you come across a recipe that piques your interest and confirming that you already have all the ingredients.. I will take any excuse to work on my biscuits. Which were the closest to perfection that time I used lard. No lard in here, but no problem. Maybe it was because I had just recently met Molly and a bit of her bubbly amazing-ness was brushed onto me. Or maybe I just didn't over-knead it.
My squash came out a little mushier because I misjudged how much water to add. As I tend to do when I cook roots and gourds. But it reminded me a bit of a pie and I ate it for every meal for two-ish days with various cured meats and salads.
The point is... these are the kinds of great things that will happen when you get Imperfect Produce. Can't wait for my 3 avocados coming this Saturday.
Side note: I hate the lighting (or lack thereof) in our kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment