Sunday, January 29, 2017

after dark

The Exploratorium holds a special place in my heart. Ever since we played with all the exhibits post high school. Imagine my natural excitement when I was called on to volunteer for Pairings.

Chicories
The introduction.
I got to be a guest while learning about chicories. And eating a little chicory sampler platter. And sipping on spiked chicory coffee. And then I got to take home a couple souvenirs from California Endive Farms


And then I was inspired by here.
A pound of roasted and peeled chestnuts later, with added sliced apples and frozen pie crust from Trader Joe's...
...I had a not-so-pretty tart tatin. That unmolded like a dream after some apprehension. And that was entirely consumed regardless.

Noodles
The inauguration.
The moral of this story was that you can make a noodle out of anything. And that you can really prep noodles with and in anything. That's why, in addition to rice and flour, I also keep boxes of noodles on hand.

For things like leftover whole wheat and thick spaghetti in leftover chicken broth with leftover napa cabbage and scallions


Thick soup noodles in Asian-cabinet sauce aka a free hand mix of pantry staples that I have on hand. With salted duck egg, salted black beans, and scallions.

And a restaurant dish for good measure.

miso ramen
Man, I could really go for some ramen. Right. About. Now.

Yeast
Coming up in a couple weeks, but I started sourdough starter Tina in anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment