Friday, February 10, 2017

the flavor bible is my friend

Expiration dates are just a suggestion, and it drives me absolutely crazy when people throw things out based on a number printed to avoid law suits or whatever. We've got five senses for a reason dude. To eat. Some Chobani yogurts in the work fridge sat past their expiration. By a month tops, so relaxxxx. So Moiz told me to take them home, and I told myself to do something with them.

The most obvious thing to do with "expired" dairy? Bake it into something.
By the way.. got some stale carbs hanging about? Bake it. More avocados on the verge of ripe and rotten than you can handle? That's right. Bake it into something.

Anyways, I came home with four strawberry and two pineapple cups, and I sat down with my kind of religious text: The Flavor Bible.


strawberries + balsamic + pepper
Strawberry Yogurt Loaf with black pepper and balsamic drizzle

Smitten Kitchen as reference

1.5 c AP flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 containers Chobani strawberry yogurt
3/4 c sugar
3 eggs
2 t balsamic vinegar
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 c canola oil
5-6 grinds of peppercorn
-sift together dry, combine wet, mix dry into wet
-350F for 45-50 min

3T balsamic
1T water
1T sugar
-simmer until thick
-cool and drizzle






pineapples + cilantro
Pineapple Cilantro naan flatbread with cilantro sauce

The Kitchn as reference

1 + 3/4 c AP
2 t salt
2 t instant yeast*
2 containers Chobani pineapple yogurt
handful cilantro leaves, minced
-basically shove it all in a bowl and bring together into pretty speckled dough
-let rise 1 hr
-divide, roll out, griddle

stems from leaves + several more sprigs cilantro
1/4 c olive oil
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 t lemon juice
sprinkle or two of cayenne
1/4 t salt
-puree in magic bullet
-drizzleeee

*dead or near-dead yeast... those guys served me well over two years - this is why I made 'flatbread' and not 'naan'





No comments:

Post a Comment