Monday, September 19, 2016

back in the presence of dukies


Been so isolated from my college life in Madison that sometimes I forget about it. Texting individual people here and there even feels removed from it because they're not physically with me. But I'm vaguely aware that I'll be settling around pockets of Dukies, and it'll be a strange change to be reminded of those days. Right now I'm blanking on those once familiar names and locations. To be fair though, I was removed from it all for a good chunk of those four years.

But it's always a good time finding them again. Posted up on the super comfy couch in Frank's super amazing condo. Especially now as the house recovers from "cruising" last night. (I'm just lame enough that I like learning new terms that friend groups use).

Anyways, my Seattle plans were really just to eat. So that's exactly what we did yesterday. Starting with brunch and breakfast cocktails at Coastal Kitchen. Picked an anti-climatic time to give bloody marys another shot. Where was my roasted chicken or slider on a skewer. At the very least, a pepperoni stick or something. Conclusion: a full cup is a bit much. But definitely complements my penchant for savory breakfast.
I went with the Coastal Classic Breakfast with two fried oysters, sourdough, spicy hash browns, and overeasy eggs. Giant delicious oysters, dipped in some egg yolk, chased with some bloody mary. Ready to fall out of my seat by the end.
But I couldn't because we had toy and knick-knack shops...
... libraries with S&M-feel red halls and cool architecture... 
... and cute curated shops.
which reminded me of Copenhagen.
*heart eyed emoji*
Niel and I got some pastries to eat in the park while he was called on to babysit me. Fig and almond tart filled with almond paste. Sturdy enough to eat with your hands in case you are like me and mistakenly remember having a fork in your backpack (not an unusual situation for me).

The thing I learned about going out with Frank is dude loves his late night food. Like 80% of my Seattle meals were consumed after dark (not the dead of winter yet so it's actually late). At Oddfellows, he met us ten drinks deep and promptly ordered cured meat and cheese plate (with the best sour cherries with mustard seed), satueed mussels in drinkable (literally) green onion broth, and risotto fries (all the way in the back there). And libations to catch up to Frank for the rest of us: the Rebekah, porch swing, and whatever their special was that night which was freaking strong and delicious. Set the tone for the rest of the night in the best way.
After two bars, a nightclub, and a quick stop at an edibles shop, it was apparently decided that we needed to feast at Ba Bar. Two of everything. And by everything I mean frites, crispy imperial rolls, sai gon chicken wings, fried frog legs, spicy pork belly... and then a pho tai nam for everyone. Oh. My. God. Yum. You go to the bathroom for two seconds.. When the waiter brought us out our food, I'm pretty sure he called us 'little piggies.' No, I wasn't that drunk - I'm definitely sure. Kid went home with three cups of pho leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment