Friday, September 16, 2016

all i want is herring




snaps - aquavit - 'water of life'
I couldn't even bring myself to take a sip because 1. Sam and Ann's immediate reactions were not pleasant, and 2. the aroma smacked me in the face. If you're a child of Chinese parents, you'll know what I mean when I say the stuff was not so different than 白酒. Anyways, they make their own.

So they started us with a little cold soup of celery and barley and other things (I really dropped the ball on food notes this trip *hangs head in shame*) ...and bread with butter which I didn't expect to be a thing outside the States.
The smørrebrød selection was chicken salad, roast beef, and smoked salmon. To be paired with those snaps.. if you can handle it.
They've rotated their menu since we dined there because fried herring and cold smoked icelandic salmon and scallop tartare were most definitely not on the menu because I most definitely would've ordered those right away. So we obviously went at the wrong time because all I wanted was herring and all they didn't have for dinner was herring.
Instead we got:
scallops with fresh peas
burnt mackerel
pork belly with its juices in a cute little sauce pan (so that's what those sizes are for)
Overall, I wasn't that blown away, and I couldn't get over the raw onions and radishes on my plate. And then also because all I wanted was herring. And I feel cheated. As much as I adore pork belly, it just didn't feel right to be chomping on land animals in Scandinavia. Like I wasn't getting the full experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment