Wednesday, February 3, 2016

southern on the side

Haven't pinned down a spot to get a really great biscuit in Madison. I've already talked about the sporadic cravings and then attempts to alleviate them with sweet potato ones and cheddar kale ones and less than stellar beer ones.
So by the dim light of my living room one night, I tried them again.  This time with sour cream (obtained from sensory... so yeah, this was awhile ago) via here.
But instead of chive, I did rosemary. Plus walnuts. And cubes of Asian pear sandwiched between some and piled on top of others.
Yummy.


But they could be better. The pear could've been incorporated better because let's be honest - the sandwiched look isn't great. And the walnuts could've been roasted (laziness sometimes...).
So the next time I found myself with a pear in the fridge... well, I had no milk. But once I got some milk... the process began.
pear walnut ginger biscuits
1.5 c soy milk
1.5 T distilled vinegar
1 large asian pear, peeled and cubed

4 c flour
4 t baking powder
2 t salt
1/2 c shortening

1 c roasted walnuts, chopped
hunk of ginger root, sliced

Simmer milk with pear chunks until softened. Blend off heat, and add vinegar to make buttermilk.
Make ginger syrup. Toss roasted walnuts in syrup to coat. Mince one slice of ginger and muddle with sugar.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until coarse crumbs form. Add in walnuts and muddled ginger. Slowly pour in milk until it comes together.
Turn out on floured surface and lightly knead before rolling out into rectangle. Stamp out rounds with round cutter.
Bake at 475F for 10 minutes.
The pear flavor didn't come through as strongly as I wanted, but you could feel its gritty texture in a good way. I loved the bites of sweetness from the syrup coated walnuts and the surprise pieces of fresh ginger. Pouring warm milk into the shortening-flour crumbs made for a very soft and comforting dough, and it didn't ruin the final texture, but if you have more time and patience than me, it'd probably actually be worth chilling the milk. 
Regardless, I think we can all agree this turned out much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment