Monday, September 14, 2015

ode to orange

I love fall.
And why not?
The weather is beautiful.
I can finally where tights and boots and cozy sweaters.
The leaves are red and yellow and everything in between.
I love feeling warm when it's chilly outside.
The food is the best.
And most importantly pumpkin,
but a close second is sweet potato.

Unfortunately, most of that doesn't pertain because it's spring down under.
And I'm reminiscing about sweet, bright orange sweet potatoes.
Because apparently their sweet variety is white.
But if they don't use pumpkin in desserts... do they use sweet potatoes?

Andddddd here I am returning to this post for the third seventeenth time, and the theme hasn't changed.

Pumpkin pie ginger spice lattes are out to play, and I'm proud/ashamed to say I totally buy into the trend.  Pumpkin picking and pumpkin noms will (hopefully) be another post.
But first, potatoes of the sweet (and orange) variety.



Sweet potato steamed Chinese cake
1 c flour
4 eggs
4 T butter, melted
1 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c whipping cream (or sub milk)
1 small - med sweet potato, mashed
handful walnuts and craisins, roughly chopped
Recipe adapted from here.
Sweet potato puree base, cake batter, nut and berry topping, dollop of rum-whipped cream.

Sweet potato cupcake
from stand at Southpoint (and Alicia's milkshake)

Sweet potato and rosemary biscuits
via here
But I use "biscuits" loosely.  Mainly because they turned out quite the opposite of fluffy.  I think I have a problem with overmixing.
Eaten with white chocolate almond honey for breakfast...
...and sausage, egg, and green chilies for lunch.

Sweet potato and rosemary bacon biscuits
via here again
but with lard instead of butter... and more lard instead of cream cheese.
Much improvement, but still on the quest for perfect flakiness.  Or maybe I just didn't make them fat enough.
Potluck friends doing puzzles and crosswords in the background.

Love the season of orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment