Friday, September 25, 2015

sensory spoils

It's both wonderful and dangerous living with a fellow foodie/food scientist/lover of all things edible.  We only encourage each other to think about food in our spare time.  I mean, mainly it's Jules/Jared gently mentioning some sort of meal, and it enters my head like a disease that can only be cured by making that meal for myself.  It's already happened several times and kind of puts a whole new spin on my already out of control cravings.



I've become an integral part of Julia's thesis.  So now, not only do I have real purpose, but I also get saltines and frosting for breakfast two days a week.  As if that hasn't convinced you that this is a good set up, sometimes I even get random jars of random stuff I'd never otherwise eat.  Like marshmallow fluff and Crisco.  Peanut butter, too, but I try not to purchase that because it's a slippery slippery slope as I've learned before.
Anyways, I remember learning about fluffer nutters when I was in third grade.  Some guy looked at me in disbelief when I innocently asked, "What is that?"  If there was ever a time for 8yo me to come out of my shell and attempt to socialize, that was a key time.
So armed with marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, a giant bag of hamburger buns obtained from a department BBQ, and inspiration, I made some bread pudding.  Thank you Jade for the idea, thus making it impossible for me to not snag the bag of hamburger buns.
It goes a little something like this:
Filling
1.5 c almond milk
2 eggs
2 T flax seed (to sub for another egg... or just use 3 eggs but eggs are getting expensive man!)
2-3 T peanut butter
Mix mix mix
Tip: microwave milk with peanut butter for 45s or so to make it easier to mix.
Carbs
Toast hamburger buns and rip apart
Pour a bit of filling to cover the bottom of the pan, then start "layering" in the bun bits
Dollop large spoonfuls of fluff randomly over the buns
Sprinkle in some chocolate chips
More bun bits
More filling
Repeat until gone

Some bites tasted like the fluffer nutters of my childhood.  Some bites tasted like s'mores.  All the bites tasted like guilt... in the best way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment