Monday, November 30, 2015

raindrops fall between 11 and 21 mph

I don't really know why I'm still surprised by how much I ended up liking it out here.  At least the major cities I've explored.
Last minute weekend escape to Minneapolis was a much needed success after things broke and materials ran out and there was nothing wrong with my tire after all - I just apparently don't know how to use air pumps.  And besides catching a (much awaited?) humpback whale documentary and a (late) dazzling fireworks display, two very important things happened...
First, this raviolo from The Third Bird with pomegranate, sage brown butter, and sweet potato chips, filled with roasted squash, ricotta and one sexy yolk, which was enough to distract me from the birthday boy and his fam/friends/ghosts for several minutes.  All the textures made this the perfect giant bite.
Also the roasted Brussels sprouts and that piece of amazingly tender bison.

Second, going around the corner 24 hours later to Ike's where I added the Triple Pepper burger with cracked black pepper crusted ground Angus, pepper jack cheese, and hot pink mayo (whatever that is) on onion bun to my ongoing burger quest - yes it's extending beyond Madison now.  Beautiful medium rare cross section.  Perfectly toasted bun.  But I think the hidden bites of whole peppercorn were my favorite parts.  Overall, it was not distracting enough to shut me up for several minutes the way Buns does.  Despite having not eaten for 8 hours (which just doesn't happen unless I'm sleeping), the most embarrassing moment was when I had to finally give in and ask the waitress to take away 3/4 of the fries I couldn't finish.

Favorite joke of the weekend and Amelia's new way to fill the silence:
What do you call a cow with no legs?
.
.
.
Ground beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment