Tuesday, November 17, 2015

letter to that cute fireman

I hesitate to tell you that I probably came close to setting off the fire alarm again.  I'm going to blame the electric stove.  And it probably also doesn't help that my brain begins to shut down as it creeps closer to 10pm, so I really shouldn't be in the kitchen.  I was making popcorn this time, and the end result was a pretty sad sight.  And there were flames coming from below the pot at one point.  What is going on!?!
But it was fine.  Damage = chasing Jules and Emma out of the living room.  Party instantly over.

The first time was the crystallized ginger incident.

Not to be confused with our deliberate dip off party, I found myself just eating away at dips for dinner again.  That don't really go together.  But whatever.
curry ketchup
half small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can tomato sauce
brown sugar
vinegar
worcestershire sauce
curry paste
[this is just going to have to be a recipe in progress]

and babaganoush
with some drops of sesame oil instead of tahini, lime instead of lemon juice, and 2 instead of 1 garlic clove.  I was really into the cinnamon - it added such a nice and unexpected touch.
Carb vehicles of choice are of course pretzels and potatoes.  Always and forever.  For a super balanced dinner with veg (eggplant) and fruit (tomato) in pureed form.
Anyway, while I was mindlessly dipping away, I had a timer going for a pot of crystallized ginger I was super excited for, but that ended in stupid tragedy when my pot of boiling sugar burned real nice.  Whatever you do, don't open the door when your apartment is filled with ginger smoke.  Because the fire alarm just might be right outside.  It was hectic and loud and I've never called 911 before, so I was just glad Jenna was there to figure out the protocol for fire alarms.  Like shouldn't it take less than 15 minutes for someone to show up?  I'm still a little unclear.  But now I'm in someone's records as the girl who was crystallizing ginger...
But it was all fine.  Damage done = causing the neighbors to hate me.  Worth it for talking to you for 30 seconds, Cute Fireman.

No comments:

Post a Comment