Saturday, February 28, 2015

illusion of choice

I taught the roommates how to play Bananagrams when I first tried Mad City Frites, where the fries are actually just potatoes, which is not really what I want in a fry.  But the concept reminded me of the saucy wonder that is Pommes Frites, that place that we stopped by when we were on our way to a comedy show in NYC that one time.
Sauces inspire me.  Sometimes I have to come up with the vehicle after I realize a craving for the sauce.  That's why carbs are so great and so easy.
And fries are the best carb of all (well... maybe they're tied with pretzels).  Today was a dangerous day to be living above Five Guys.  My jar of mayo is a couple weeks away from expiration, which was an excellent excuse to prepare 10 mayo-based sauces and one ketchup-based for my Little Cajun fries.



 Let's begin, shall we?
Curry ketchup - lots of curry paste + a little less but still lots of ketchup
Sriracha garlic mayo - my fave, roast garlic first
Romanesco mayo - equally my fave, adapted from here with hazelnuts, dried parsley, and a bit of sugar
Mushroom mayo - sauteed mushrooms, thyme, salt
Rosemary lemon peppercorn mayo - exactly as it says, simple, yummy
Wasabi mayo - I don't know how long I've had this powder, but you need much of it for any effect
Mustard mayo - pictured is sesame honey mustard pretzel dip but I felt it was too sweet and just better suited for pretzels so our remedy (not pictured) was Grey Poupon + mayo
Basil mayo - fresh chopped basil, nothing more nothing less
Vegemite mayo - loved it and I don't care what anyone says, props to Audrey for daring to try it
Cinnamon salted caramel mayo - taking a risk with a dessert mayo, not bad, subtle flavor
Guac mayo - just mixed some mayo into a packet of Wholly Guacamole that Audrey didn't want, not a favorite, didn't make much of a dent in it, also saving it for pretzels later

We gave up being organized and collected the sauces together for easy access and faster food to fatass.  I should also mention that girl spent no effort talking me into going to Steepery to get something to wash the fries down with - wintermelon green tea latte, delicious.
One Little fry wasn't enough, so after 37 orders filled, Five Guys was probably hardcore judging me for getting another Little sans Cajun.
Best day ever.

As if you weren't already disgusted at/proud of me for eating two helpings of fries and a cup of tapioca pearls for lunch... I had a third of this beautiful cherry fritter from Greenbush for breakfast.  It's like a giant frisbee of fried and glazed dough.  I'm so obsessed with this donut shop, it's bad.
Hey, at least I only took one nap today.  Decided it would be better to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine...by going to Target to buy some red wine.  And that was dinner.
My parents would be proud of how I'm taking care of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment