Tuesday, October 13, 2015

sconed

This transition into winter is really hard on the productivity.  Suddenly I find myself snoozing my alarm for an hour or so because it's still vaguely dark out and my bed is too cozy in my frigid room.
What are life goals?
Scone part I:
Well the onset of winter also means Amelia is nesting at her desk.  I've already got my coffee maker and water heater.  Snacks and meal replacer in the drawer.  And a duffel of clothes.
But at the very least, the motivation to get up before the crack of dawn is being able to sit in my empty and quiet office with a carb-y breakfast-appropriate dessert and a hot cup of coffee to wash it down with.  Reading some abbreviated news and staring at my to-do list for the day.
Right now I'm on pumpkin milk bread (to come), just before that it was pear and sour cream biscuits (also to come), but what converted me from various forms of chocolate for breakfast was this scone recipe.
I used rhubarb jam from the farmer's market, strawberry powder, and whatever loose leaf green tea Dad recently pushed on me.  I wish I could tell you the proportions and the process by which it happened, but it was hastily thrown together sometime after the sun went down (during the summer, so it was legit late... not like the yesterday when Daren and I thought it was 9pm when it was actually 7 pm).
This late night impulse turned into breakfast for a week.

Scone part II:
One of the many Amy's in my life's birthday snuck up on us at the close of summertime.  She's one of the few people I picture side by side with a specific food.  It all started when Maddy and Luis hosted an hors d'oeuvres party with bacon wrapped dates.
Maddy: These are Amy's favorite food.
*M leans out, A leans in*
Amy: These are my favorite food.
Noted.
So when I stumbled upon on the perfect baked good on Flavor Bender, I knew I had to execute.  Also when the sun had long set.  Definitely bending flavors here.
If I could have just bottled up the aroma of this pot of dates simmering in coffee and almond milk...this would be my form of cocaine.
Anyways, bacon wrapped dates + Amy's coffee addiction all wrapped up in one easy-to-eat package.  [With a little sauce cup of rendered bacon fat by the way.]
I definitely don't hate it.  And resisted serious temptation to keep them all for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment