Wednesday, October 21, 2015

cozy chicken curry

If not for any other reason, I'm glad Daren (aka the birthday boy - don't ask about his age, he doesn't keep track) came into my life with this super simple and super crave-able chicken curry.  Reminding me once again that the best things in life are free simple... even when it comes to notoriously complex dishes like curries.
Not that it made any difference in the finished plate since all the rice was buried under intense salty sweet deliciousness, but I decided black rice would stand out nicely against the whitish curry.  I also liked the way it looked on my Nugget with my New Mexican Mexican blanket.  All cool and dark colors for my chill and artsy mood, obviously.
Chicken Curry
I used two bone-in thighs, but you could do a whole sucker or half a dozen drumsticks or a couple boneless skinless breasts (just don't tell me because I'd judge you a little)
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
2 medium carrots, coins
4 larger red potatoes, quartered
handful broccoli florets, frozen
1 15-oz can coconut milk
2 tsp curry powder
5 dashes fish sauce

I mean, in the end you can add whatever veggies you want in whatever quantity you want.  Take charge.  Go crazy.

So before you thank me for passing this stupid easy recipe along to you, here's what you do:
Sweat those onions with the garlic.  Brown the chicken on all sides.  Throw in the chosen veggies.  Dump in the coconut milk (plus can's worth of water... and that way you get every last drop of coconut milk out too).  Sprinkle in the curry powder.  Dash in the fish sauce.  Mix and stir.  Let simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Sprawl out on "couch" with warm bowl and good book.  Don't let anyone tell you that being single isn't great (added bonus if all three of your roomamtes are out and about).  Probably go back to work to finish up your shit even though it's dark and cold (not the chill and artsy kind) and all you want to do is watch Archer reruns in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment