Monday, August 17, 2015

roots

One of my first dinners out way back when we were naive real world freshmen (as Catherine so adequately put it) was at Himal Chuli pretty much right across the street from my soon-to-be previous  rodent hotel apartment.  This was back when I still had time to study at places other than my office.  Jules and I both got the meal special advertised at the table.  Squash curry thing, spinach and black eyed pea things with pita-like bread and a cup of creamy broth.  I remember it being good.  Warm and satisfying in the months when my first Wisconsin winter crept closer.  A little more liquid-y than I expect from curry type things, but I know nothing about Himilayan or Nepalese food.
Following that, I was all about the burgers and fries.

I'm starting to take the plunge into ethnic foods of Madison after remaining skeptical for nearly a year.
Tested the waters back in March-ish by maybe ordering too much at Swagat after a perfect afternoon of reading by the lake with Audrey.  Serious naps happened after our giant egg masala dosa (with three dipping sauces!), saag paneer for me as per usual, chicken curry for her, naan, and a rice mountain.  I had heard from both Bianca and Julia that it was the best Indian food they've had, and I don't disagree - even if it is the only Indian food I've had in Madison.

Then Dad visited and there was no way I could turn down a free meal at the couple Chinese restaurants his friend chose.  Some Sichuan favorites at VIP and fried eggplant/anchovy/pancake goodness at Orient House, and I felt hope again.

Meanwhile, everyone in the world (aka on IG) was galavanting around SE Asia, which made being in lab simply agonizing.  By the way, this not having three months of summer thing is my third least favorite thing about adulting.
But whatever because Alicia dropped by the city of poor street planning and 24/7 runners, and we had a riveting weekend of Asian food sampling and naps.
Finally made it to the much recommended Ichiban.  Aside from the fact that it's skeptical a Chinese place has a Japanese name, the 夫妻肺片 deserves the most memorable award.  It tasted exactly like this, but I can't decide if it'd even really be cheating if they just dumped a jar of that over a bunch of tripe and tongue... maybe I should do that...
There was a bit of a setback at the equally much recommended Ha Long Bay, where the overpowering star anise in the panang curry gave me a headache.  Can't say I'd be eager to return.
More dim sum the next day.  Chicken feet + BBQ duck + tripe = nice well balanced brunch.

Ended at Umami for pork buns and three rounds of brunch ramen.
Pork belly on fleek 👌
The last time I had ramen was many years ago at Momofuku, so I don't know what I really expect from ramen except an egg (check), seaweed (almost check - the flakey, saltier kind that comes in larger sheets is the better way to go), and a good broth.  I was super skeptical of the soymilk in the dashi broth, but it wasn't bad.  Imparted a creaminess that was suitable for morning ramen, but next time I would prefer a nice clear broth for sure.
As always, I feel hopelessly alone after visitors leave me on Sunday.  Who can I convince to come next?

No comments:

Post a Comment