Thursday, June 11, 2015

try try again

It's funny the things we end up getting invested in.
The superfan lifestyle is one I'm not so familiar with.  My intense investment in things usually comes and goes pretty sporadically.  I think part of it is because I get so wrapped up in that one thing that I eventually tire of it.  And then sometimes I find myself getting worked up over things I don't normally care about.  Like a certain game of a sport I know nothing about or a certain contestant on some show I never usually watch or maybe the outcome of some event that will affect my life in no way at all.  But the concept of being so invested in something that you feel a physical reaction or the fact that some superfans forge bonds with stranger superfans in the moment is kind of incredible.  Like what is it about this or that that can have such a strong impact on your life?  And how do stumble upon the things we love?

Things I'm enough invested in that failure causes tears:
my research
my dinner
in a word - food.


So one day (way back when, during "Spring Break") I set out to make this four-hour baguette.  And it only vaguely failed in case you couldn't quite tell.  It was initially a sad moment that devolved into an angry moment because "stupid oven" and "how did I not smell the burning?!?"  The smoke detector is not usually my friend, but it really wasn't my friend that night.
I was persistent and ate a good 80% of my burnt loaves anyways after I cracked one open to reveal the soft fluffy guts.  Not to mention the perfect texture of the crusty (overly-) browned crust.  I dipped it in the drops of olive oil that remained in the ice cube tray after digging out the dill cubes.  
So attempt number two happened when I found another four hours to spare.
Not burnt.  Check.
...but that's about it.
It just didn't have the same contrast of fluffiness and crustiness.  And I rolled them out too much, and they basically became edible pieces of rope.  So all my plans for French baguettes (namely all kinds of bruschetta) goes out the window.
Ate up one loaf and managed to revive another awfully stale loaf with a super thin French onion soup adapted from here (don't forget the cornstarch like I did...) and shredded Parmesan that wasn't too keen on melting (is it because I froze it?).
You could say I'm still invested in baguettes.  Though it's been bumped down on the priority list behind sandwich bread and hamburger buns for the time being.  But third time is the charm, right?  ...if I ever find another four hours to spare.

As for the third loaf.  I turned that into...

No comments:

Post a Comment