Tuesday, June 16, 2015

bull city

In honor of the fact that I get to spend less than two whole days in NC this summer, let's go back to Durham.  Compounded with the fact that my brief moments in St. Paul reminded me of downtown Durham and its strange warehouse-converted apartments.

Quinoa and corn empanadas from Tonali.
Remember the time half of the guys went to Only Burger and never came back?
Tonali wasn't really what I was expecting at all.  Because for whatever reason, I had in my mind that it was tapas and Italian - I'm going to just say that some website somewhere lied to me.  Probably one of the more unsuccessful meal trips I've dragged people on, as three of us got waters before deciding to get burgers instead.  And how do you return to a sit down restaurant with a greasy brown bag of burgers and fries?  You don't.
But whatever, guys, I liked my little empanadas.
Vic: Let's take a picture.
Me: I'm on it.
Vic: I meant of us...

Pulled pork plate at The Pit.
Remember the time we spent some quality time with the mythical Marsha?
For all the rave about The Pit in Raleigh, this meal was a little subpar because the meat was dry.  Sides + much vinegar sauce saved the day, but the disillusion is still very real.  At least the atmosphere was nice, the venue spacious and well lit.  I feel like I'd give it another try, but I don't know if that's the part of me that hasn't had barbecue since moving talking.

Bratwurst and sauerkraut from Geer Street Garden.
Remember the last LDOC?
Looking back, I think it's kind of hilarious that I kicked off my pseudo last day of undergrad with a brat.  I instantly decided I was craving one when I saw it on the menu, but if I had known in April that I was about to transplant to the land of brats (amongst other hefty foods) and eat so many brats that I would never remember this one if it weren't for a picture on my phone, I probably would've chosen something else.  But maybe fate.  Or maybe foreseeing the future.  Maybe some weird universal forces at work through my food choice and eating habits.  Maybe like that time I took a Buzzfeed quiz that told me I should definitely live in Wisconsin.  Not saying I'm superstitious, but... 

I've never really thought that I'd want to settle close to home, and I knew I was so lucky to have gone to undergrad so close to home for many logistical and financial and emotional reasons.  And I had learned to really appreciate home after a semester abroad.  But after nearly a year in Sconnie, I think I'm starting to miss home in a different way.
In the end though, I think I'd still choose to live in Madison over Durham because... I don't know.  It's just a feeling.  But I'm starting to realize I took humble North Carolina for granted.  I'm going to love being home.

No comments:

Post a Comment