Tuesday, June 16, 2015

crawl so hard

All the weather apps failed us for the Saturday morning Donut Crawl.  Literally watched the hard drizzle out the window while staring at my phone, which was insisting 0-2% chance rain.


Patience, persistence, and all of my chill were tested as we stood in line after line after non-existent line in the rain.  I definitely prioritized the dryness of my donut box over myself for the sake of this beautiful picture of my winnings in the end.  Worth it.  Plus breakfast and snack and after dinner dessert for days.
Miserable confusion devolved into absolute chaos.  And by the end I threw all fucks to the wind and joined the stampede for our last four to five donuts.  Because damn if I don't get all my $35 worth of donuts (and shirt and coffee).  I don't even know which tent it was.  The lady said one per person, but that was a silly joke.  Jules managed to get one of each flavor while I contained myself and went for cherry cake, apple fritter, and Boston cream pie.
Treat yo self indeed.
The highlights:
Mexican chocolate from Angel Food.  It was an instant decision that I only had about three seconds to make after hearing "strawberry rose," "lemon lavender," and "Mexican chocolate."  I'm too much of a sucker for crazy unique (fruity) flavors, but after having a bite of Julia's lemon lavender (which was a tad overpowering), I regretted nothing.  First of all, look at that beautiful cross section.  It's like a fluffy, kinda chewy churro.  And not too sweet.  Not too overly glazed.  Just the right amount of spice.  All yum.
Banana cream with hazelnut crunch from Glam Doll.  Okay, so I'm not the biggest fan of cake, but I'm the biggest fan of hazelnuts (amongst nuts) and bananas (amongst creamy desserts).  Not too dense, this little round was perfect from first to last bite.
Other bites:
I picked around the second apple fritter after eating half of another one.  Little did I know that second one was more like an airy cinnamon roll.
Boston cream pie - the custard was perfection.
Cherry cake reminded me of the giant cherry fritter I devoured here.
Whatever was in the lemon old fashioned glaze - I need a jar of that and the recipe, please.

Donuts: 7/10 ... too many cake varieties for my liking, but at least they didn't have any vegan or gluten free anti-gems.... so actually 9/10.
Organization: 2/10 ... I don't understand why it couldn't just be arranged in a single line... or in a bigger park.
Weather: 0/10 ... you failed us.
Company: 10/10 ... because what is community and friendship if we can't all bitch and be glutinous together?

No comments:

Post a Comment