Monday, May 25, 2015

matching backpack adventure

Memorial Day bar crawl -emphasis on crawl 
Simultaneously rough and slow week of work deserves an immediate Friday roadtrip out to the east side.  Followed by a leisurely stroll back home.  But not before stopping at a couple bars for a cocktail progressive.

Station 1: Green Owl Cafe
Though we missed the Groupon deal, a drink + meal + dessert combo for less than $30 was not bad at all, especially given my less than satisfying $30 meal from Essen Haus the prior week.  I'm certain very few of my friends would believe me if I said Green Owl is delicious... and that it's vegan.  I know I gave up vegetarianism (or pescatarianism), but I appreciate some good fake meat.  This was good fake meat.  Followed by good fake dairy cheesecakes.  Entire meal was very gracefully inhaled and then licked off of fingers - I even found pieces of kale crisp in my lap.
crabby cake po'boy with chipotle remoulade and kale crisps
T(smokey baked tempeh)LT with avocado and roasted potatoes in the background
vanilla cheesecake with raspberry sauce
coconut lime cheesecake


Bonfire - jameson whiskey, blood orange liqueur, orange bitters, ginger beer
It was between this and the strawberry cheesecake martini, and as indulgent and heavenly as the latter sounded, especially after my first taste of a dessert martini*, I couldn't resist the Bonfire when our waitress said it was "classic."  Maybe next time.

Because the last time I was here, we didn't get a chance to try a cocktail.  After a quick 20 minute walk in the direction home, we were definitely ready for the next drink.  I'm sure we looked like school children with our backpacks and casual work wear.  Maybe that's why so many people turned and smiled at us; I was kind of confused by who worked there and who just liked greeting strangers.  The same thought going through everyone's heads was probably, "What are these kids doing here?"
[half drunken] Gringo - honey liqueur, horchata, cinnamon, nutmeg
[half finished] Honey cap - muddled lime, honey, lime juice, honey liqueur, soda water

+ tasting of Americanaki Ouzo that smelled like candy and almost tasted like drink regret because the Root Beer would've been so good.  Yummmm.

Station 3: Bandung
Audrey was thinking about her hibiscus liqueur cocktail, so we found our way to the bar of Bandung, where our badass bartender told us half her life story, practiced her Chinese vocab, and introduced us to the magical syrup that is jasmine liqueur.  And now I have a new dream.  A shelf lined with all the liqueurs - jasmine, coconut, pecan, hazelnut, hibiscus, lychee, pear, pomegranate, anise, etc etc etc.
Spice Island Bourbon - redemption bourbon, cardamaro, pecan liqueur, all-spice dram, nutmeg, cinnamon, star-anise, ginger beer with cinnamon sugar rim

Station 4: Coopers
For a cone of frites.  Or it would have been if I wasn't a tiny bit sickly and ready to crawl on into bed at 10pm.  This is why I tend to stick to beer.
And so my craving for double fried potato sticks with aioli was left unsatisfied and still persists today.

Happy Memorial Day.
Motivation to get to work on this windy rainy morning (that is also a holiday): low, below ground low.

*Champagne cocktails at Opus Lounge, but the real winner of the night was the Butter Up Kim [not pictured]

No comments:

Post a Comment