Thursday, April 2, 2015

eggplant on slice

Here we go again.  Rambling to no one about my love for basil and tomatoes and cheese.  This obsession happens to marry very well with my current attachment to yeast.  I've made an adamant resolution to avoid purchasing grocery store bread.  Need it?  Make it.  That money will be going to bags on bags of flour instead.
Working out pretty well so far.  I polished off a loaf of King Arthur's oatmeal bread in the form of numerous egg sandwiches.  The only quality control I need to work on is sliceability - most of those sandwiches was eaten with a fork and knife...
Caprese pull-apart bread.
But let's take a quick detour.
And talk about how I finally satisfied my months long craving for eggplant.


Basil eggplant
All it takes is:
1 eggplant (any kind really but the Japanese variety was cheaper)
3 sprigs Thai basil, half chopped, half whole
scallion
salt and white pepper
sauce
Sautee purple wedges in oil on med high heat until softened - it's a careful balance of texture and color.  Should only take you a few minutes if you use a single eggplant like me.  Turn down heat and dump the sauce in.  Stir until it's all soaked up.  Toss in the chopped basil.  Garnish with the whole stuff.

sauce
2 capfuls of shaoxing cooking wine
equal amount soy sauce
a little splash mirin
a drop of sesame oil
1 clove minced garlic
1 teaspoon ginger puree
a scoop lao gan ma chili crisp sauce*, with a pair of chopsticks for measure
*this stuff is just as crucial to have in my pantry as soy sauce and sriracha, and I just learned what it's fully called in English
Neatly divided over a couple slices of caprese pull-apart and packed for lunch and dinner because you don't wanna be stuck in lab 'til late with an unhappy tummy.
Okay, back to the carbs that were inspired by here.
Filled with olive oil and the obvious things.  Plus onions and whole garlic cloves that I cooked low and slow in butter.  The real challenge was stacking the pieces without spilling everything.  But if having patience was ever going to pay off...

It's time I just invest in a real loaf pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment