Monday, February 23, 2015

year of the sheep

Apparently it was National Margarita Day yesterday, and some part of me must have known because I was really craving one on Friday.  Too bad the home of the 99 cent margaritas has closed down.
But I decided to spend all weekend celebrating Chinese New Year.  Dumpling potluck party x2.  And because I was feeling ambitious, I made three fillings and hand rolled half my skins.  My hands were otherwise preoccupied with raw meats and perpetually covered with flour, which is why I only got away with three pictures.
Filling number one: gotta go with the classic.  Pork and chive.  I had to call the rents to double check what and how much goes into the filling because it just didn't feel like something I could find an online recipe for.  Not dumplings.  Everyone kind of has their own way of making it, and I wanted it the way I eat it at home.  The smell of a big bowl of chives and sesame oil is fantastic.
 Skins take so freaking long to make (for an amateur).  I remember the first time I tried rolling some out last year or so - they tore.  I rolled out three before it just felt like a waste.  At least there was no tearing this time around, but it was quite a trying wrist workout and a super slow process. done in stages.  This is not something that will happen often.
The result was mini dumplings.  So cute I just wanted to eat it... and I did.

Filling number two: seafood.  Shrimp and napa cabbage with a bit of shiitake.  I love the way shrimp filling looks through the cooked and translucent wrapper.  Bright pink with flecks of green.  I love the bite of a shrimp dumpling.  I had no idea that shrimps became so sticky when minced.

Filling number three: vegetarian but not vegan.  Egg, shiitake, cabbage, carrot, onion.  Mainly for Audrey and Margaret, but I appreciate a good veggie dumpling.  It's easy to get carried away with these - kind of like when I want to make an omelet or a sandwich.  (Put in all the things!)  And then you gotta kind of think about what's going to hold together nicely.  In the end, it was all about versatile, inexpensive ingredients, and I really liked the colorful confetti look.

Amy just taught me a tip for super flavorful fillings, and now I can't wait to make them again.  So where can I find a mortar and pestle?

No comments:

Post a Comment