Saturday, February 21, 2015

EZ PZ

I could drink coconut La Croix for the rest of my life.
It's frustratingly slow-going in lab these days.  Things aren't working.  Actually it's mainly one thing that's not working.  But it's a big thing.  It's one of the central things.  Well sometimes it seems to work.  And then I get excited for nothing.  And all my plans are thrown off again.  Like today.  Saturday at 8AM.  And I'm the least amused.
Taking comfort in the fact that at least one thing in my life is easy and dependable. 
Simple eats.
Attempted Pioneer Woman's potatoes.  Maybe don't put garlic on right away because burning happens.
This is the most boring color palette for a meal, but I just wanted to offer a visual representation of one of the ways that Vegemite can be delicious.  The large jar I brought home from Aussie about three years ago is alive and well and working as an excellent chicken marinade.  I might have mentioned three years ago that I think it tastes like soy sauce, so unless I'm eating it on toast, I use it as a solidified soy substitute.  Mixed with a bit of hot water, sesame oil, sugar, rice vinegar, and garlic.
Neither of my roommates like Brussels sprouts, which is great because it means I don't have to be nice and ask if they'd like to try some.  I'm a firm believer that you just can't make Brussels sprouts without bacon or some other kind of flavorful fat.  I'm also a firm believer that they should be fried at some point during the cooking process to get those crispy leaves on the outside.
I made these with bacon, naturally, and a dressing of fish sauce inspired by here.
I read somewhere that cabbage is up and coming in 2015.  New food trends for the new year.  Or is it cauliflower?  It's definitely cauliflower...and now I can't remember if I did read about cabbage.  Well either way, I can get on board with both.  When we have a head of cabbage at home, we always sautee it with peppercorns and dried chilies.  It's like a game of "how spicy is the cabbage tonight?"  So that and green beans are two of my favorite things to see on the dinner table.  I like to sautee a head with a couple Chinese sausages, which I definitely agree is like meat candy.  Too much on it's own, making cabbage the perfect vehicle.
And now it's two hours later, and completely confirmed that things aren't working yet again.  Time to go home and prepare for my belated nod to Chinese New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment