Friday, February 27, 2015

not-so-useless kitchen tools

I'm a sucker for random kitchen gadgets, but Alton Brown has taught me well, and I resist pulling out my wallet unless the random kitchen gadget is multifunctional (and is discounted).  That doesn't mean, though, I don't end up with a collection of semi-useless kitchen things (i.e. cherry pitter, dinosaur pan, potato ricer).  I can't help it though... I get it from my dad - enthusiastic buyer of a home yogurt maker, waffle iron, and electric crepe pan that permanently reside together in the back of the pantry.
Well Julia's Jared completely outdid my tendencies and got himself an immersion circulator (although if I had a real person salary, I'd be all over this shit too).
Some might say a vacuum sealer and torch are excessive and useless, but I say fuck that, they were some of the best gifts I've ever gotten.  Too bad I left Vacuum at home with Processor and Mixer because it would've taken over the world dinner if it combined forces with Circulator.  Torch will do well on its own in the mean time.  Perfect for searing a poached steak or poached chicken or crisping up some poached salmon skin... like so...
The result.  Perfectly cooked olive oil poached salmon with lemon and dill spice mix + green beans sauteed in oyster sauce + salad with balsamic mustard dressing + asiago bread from Panera.
Can salmon be buttery?  Because it was.  This thing is great, just imagining all the perfectly cooked meats in all the mediums with all the marinades.  I wonder if I could just adopt and sanitize an old water circulator from some lab... there's gotta be plenty of those on campus right?  But anyways.
Mmm, thanks for double-dating with me and Torch, guys.

The one thing I will not bend to though... is a garlic press.

No comments:

Post a Comment