Thursday, November 6, 2014

slow food mad city

There is a lot to do here.  And as long as I'm not driving (read: getting lost on one way streets and panicking about bikers), I enjoy this small city life, especially when food is involved.  Obviously.  Do I even need to say it?
Bianca introduced us to family dinner night at Slow Food UW, and the concept is amazing.  Five dollars for a three course (sampler) meal made with seasonal ingredients.  We all gather in the basement of that church I pass on my way from Chem to Babcock (aka The Crossing).  Grads, undergrads, real adults, kids, families, friends, groups, a lone person who joined a group.
I pretty much filled up on the (rosemary?) crackers they set out.  Some pieces were impossible to bite into, but I persevered just to find those perfectly crispy guys.  And then the food came.



Kale salad with broccoli, peppers, cheese, and seeds.  Frittata with olives and the most delicious cheese that smells like bacon.  Apple cake.  And then I wanted more.
One day, a gust of wind is going to blow me away.  How awkward I must look walking up and down University while fighting the elements.  Is it possible to just move into the lab?
This is why I don't drink coffee at night.  My bed becomes too uncomfortable.  Like all of the contestants on The Voice are too cool.  I haven't amassed any new songs in too long.  Don't you hate it when you find that you are jealous of someone you don't even like?  Talk to me more about social psychology.  The most frustrating thing is not understanding.

EDIT:
Slow food dinner number two, courtesy of (the youngest chef I've seen in real life of) Grampa's Pizzeria.
Beet salad with pistachio puree (so great), truffled chevre (still great), spinach.
Bolito misto with sausage (that looks like a potato), braised chicken, cipollini onion, purple fingerling potatoes, parmesan polenta.
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (batch two, because apparently someone mixed up the salt and sugar in the first batch, lol oops).

No comments:

Post a Comment