Thursday, November 8, 2012

ugh turkey, ugh giving thanks, ugh

The spirit of Thanksgiving came about two weeks early for us because come November 22, Syd and I will be in NZ, and everyone else will be... no idea.

Call it a successful group effort.

This actually made me realize how much... I don't do this with friends at home.  How much I miss all the Asian parties we used to go to/host because it's all about bringing your specialties and eating yourself into a coma.

So a run through of the menu?  Sure.
Nikhail's crackers and dips and olives... and 48 dinner rolls we polished off before dinner (not pictured because we were 10 voraciously hungry kids and I don't know about everyone else but I was cranky and bordering on delirium).
[Sidetracking - surreal movie moment happened when Izzi and I didn't get off the train in time thanks to Nikhail and his stupid toaster.  Watching Syd struggle to open the door from the outside and then everyone disappearing as the train went farther and farther was just... we couldn't stop laughing.  Luckily the crazy lady behind us heard our distress and helped us back... one stop.]
Elisabeth's roasted chicken breasts (because there was no way in hell a whole turkey was coming out of her little oven), which Martin cleverly thought were "decorated rolls."
Allison and Syd's mac and cheese because why not more carbs?  And cheese.
Joelle's garlic mashed potatoes and (unintentionally chunky) gravy.  Btw, first comment about the meal was "THESE POTATOES ARE SO GOOD."  Joelle tooting her own horn there.
Izzi's top notch stuffing with sausage and apples and such - received the most compliments, I'd say.
Martin's (corn flour, no add-ins) cornbread, which sounded like it caused some notable stress based on the many questions on FB and the fact that he attempted it twice.  Such dedication to good food, I approve.
Sophie's veggies, which were the very much needed touch of colour to garnish our carb-themed meal.
Dessert was our first taste of mince pies (courtesy of Sophie) and hot chocolate and Tim Tam (courtesy of Christine) - not pictured because I was evidently too drunk on food and pacing around the room to take out my camera.
And my pumpkin pie on a "gingernut" cookie crust [pictured below] with (fat free) soupy honeycomb ice cream [not pictured because the stuff melted twice in transit from grocery store to my room to Elisabeth's house].
 Instagraming that meal (but forgetting to say grace//what we're thankful for) before digging in.  I liked the Happy Birthday banner.

 Nomming hard to Mean Girls.  Finally watched it after like six weeks of referencing it.

 
 The pie remains I photographed in my room just before bed (and ate for breakfast the next morning).  It was quite a Youtube-deserving moment when Nikhail and I spent ten minutes trying to lift it out of the pan before it was cool enough to handle.

"Wait, so next year... we're all going to be in different places..."
Saddest reality.

"I'm thankful for you all."

No comments:

Post a Comment