Sunday, November 11, 2012

Little Africa and Ohm

Before

After  - it multiplied, what?
The theme here, kids, is overeating.

I had tried on multiple occasions with multiple groups of people to finally make it to Little Africa for dinner.  My experience with Ethiopian was limited to one meal with Megan at Queen of Sheba in the Thrill - wasn't bad, but what can you really expect from the only place of its kind in almost-Southern suburbs?
It was pretty much everything I expected it to be after Christine talked it up (and apparently her friend from Sydney visited again just to eat there one more time).  We got two heaping plates of injera piled with lamb, fish, chicken, and garden veggies and pumpkin and lentils and some sort of tamarindy-coffee concoction none of us could place... oh and salad.
I want to go back just to get a huge pot of their lamb.
Lucky we were the only group in the comfy upstairs area decorated with artifacts that reminded me of Thailand because we literally attacked it.  Very attractively stuffed everything into our faces.  Reaching over each other to try at least six bites of the ten different dishes in front of us.  Making yummy noises (I use too many Friends references in my life) and food orgasming all over the place.
Note: two 2-people combos for eight poor college kids will be more than enough - came out to $15 a head. 
The rest of them said the tangy-ness of the injera was getting to be too much, but I loved it.  The acidity was kind of perfect for cutting through the rest of the food, and I think I managed to eat more with it than a bowl of rice despite the spongy denseness of the bread.
I love that it is in keeping with Aussie culture to stay at meals for hours on end because we certainly needed those hours to digest and slowly lift our asses out of our chairs.

Now, Ohm is probably not going to sound as appetizing, but never pass up $6.50 all you can eat vegetarian Indian food.  Especially when you are too lazy to make your own dinner, too hungry to think straight, and too bored to do anything that doesn't involve the company of other people.  Made the trek down to Flinders despite the rain and the getting lost for about five minutes (they got rid of their giant yellow/orange sign).
You can just keep going back to get more servings of rice and the two selections of curry.  I went back three times... and picked at Nikhail's leftovers.
Not pictured, but definitely the best part - the naan.  Which they make fresh.  Which the hostess just carries around in a basket should you want more.  Which came out different each time.  Fluffy.  Then crispy.  Then chewy.  I probably had about six pieces.

Killing time by freaking out about biochem until my fourth meal of fried potatoes.

One more week in beautiful Melbourne...
I can't accept this.

No comments:

Post a Comment