Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Kavin

I'm not sure how to write about Kav without Steph and vice versa - not because I assume couples are just one entity... but because their dumplings are timed with them moving away forever *sobbing emoji* and them being awkwardly engaged against the perfect backdrop of Utah *sobbing emoji but like with happy connotation*
Kav identifies as Thai. I met him bright dark and early when he still lived with Boawen, and we somehow all managed to get up at like 4 or 5am before work to watch the blood moon and then eat waffles and Joyce's scrambled eggs. Man looking back on that now... those were certainly simpler days.



Okay, well Kavin basically gave me a list of candies when I requested some childhood snacks and foods, and so I had to modify my instructions so that I'm not stuck with how to put gummy candies into a savory dumpling. And he helpfully sent me this recipe for Thai boat noodles. I basically followed the broth part exactly (even got the Golden Mountain sauce that I was told is key) except using two big ass beef shanks that barely fit in the pot (brown on each side, then brown onions and garlic, then toss in rest of ingredients with water).
The final broth will have about 1/4in layer of fat floating on top. That's how you know it's going to be good. [Don't worry, I skimmed most of it off.]
Boat noodles are a Thai pork and beef noodle soup that were originally served from the boats on Bangkok's canals in the nineteenth century. I don't wanna make any dramatic claims, but I'm assuming this is how the dish's name came to be. The soup is traditionally made with pork's liver and blood to thicken the broth, but Kav's grandma used to leave those mystery bits out for her American boy grandson.

Anyways, I knew I had to utilize this amazingly aromatic broth to its full potential so for Kav's heritage dumpling I went the route of wontons. Filled with the shredded beef from the broth shanks, vermicelli noodles, scallions, fermented basil (or sub Thai), bits of chicharron, and some roasted red grapes as an homage to the choco gummies he so treasured. Painstakingly tucked into storebought wonton wrappers because it is not easy working with loose filling.
Garnished with more roasted grapes, cilantro and scallion, and pieces of chicharron.

By the way, roasted grapes are my current favorite thing - went right into the leftovers lunch.
Things I would do differently: more basil, more roasted grapes, blend the vermicelli with chicharron just a bit to help bind the filling better?

Kav's complete list:
choco grape gummies, that he definitely didn't share with mom
lucas candy
mexican watermelon lolipops
ritz handi-snacks
beef noodle soup (but what he meant was boat noodles...without the weird meats though)

No comments:

Post a Comment