Friday, November 9, 2018

boiled chicken

Chicken noodle soup wasn't my illness food of choice, but I can understand the sentiment. I guess the whole chicken broths my parents would make with turnips or winter melons and ginger were essentially the same thing. Boiled is one of my least favorite preparations of food... but some things are just comfortable, you know?
Which is why Hainanese chicken rice was one of the more memorable dishes from Singapore. Kenny won me over when he described the dish as made with chicken fat. Say no more.
So naturally both Rooster&Rice and Hawking Bird were high on my list when I learned of their existence. I managed to make it to RnR on one of the random holidays we get. My favorite thing about the menu was that the "Marina" was the skinless and brown rice version of the "Original." Work peeps know how I feel about boneless skinless chicken breast... I'm not going to get into it. The thing I love best about this simple dish is how chicken forward it is thanks to the chicken fat rice, so the side of a cup of broth was extra perfect. One of these days I'll make it myself, and when that day comes I'm totally frying up the skin, crumbling it up, and sprinkling it all over the bone-in meat. And maybe add a side of a soy saucey fermented beany braised egg drizzled generously with chili oil. My mouth is watering.
Hawking Bird was equally comforting and needed. The place had a more extensive menu (that included fried chicken things too, mmmmm). I think at this point it really comes down to the sauce, and I honestly couldn't tell you which stands out more in my memories that are admittedly colored by the company. I can definitely add HB to the list of "public places in which i've cried," subcategory "fights with the bf" along with the office and the streets outside of my boxing gym. 'Chicken noodle soup' really is for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment