Friday, December 22, 2017

bread stop




Funky houses are cool, but the star of this story is really Baluard.
And their beautiful beautiful piles of breads.
And tarts that inspired me for but a moment.
Because then I got to the pastries.
Audrey and I started the morning in the scene of contentment I always fantasize about. I didn't realize leaving student-hood also meant leaving opportunities to immerse in cafes with lots of natural light. I have few hours in the day to justify sitting by myself in the corner, nursing a coffee and picking pieces off an almond croissant while "working."

We spent the rest of the day just wandering about. I don't think we had goals in mind, and that's kind of the way I like it.
In between all the tourist attractions and lists of must-eats, I want to just stumble upon a restaurant with a cute menu and a chill vibe, where we can nibble on snacks while lounging outside and chase it all down with a cold beer that came in a bottle I almost decided to take home with me. The food was so-so unfortunately (even the fried eggplant with foie gras mousse), but I can forgive it because we were sitting outside on a nice day.
I want to satisfy my sweet tooth in almost the same way. We found this wacky and busy ice cream and popsicle shop along Las Ramblas, and I couldn't resist the apple and bergamot lion (el cul de la lleona).
Legend of the butt of the lioness
There is a popular saying: If you go to the Girona you have to kiss the butt of the lioness. It's an easy way to express the desire to return to the city, stay there forever or to become a citizen. Girona is the only place in the world where getting a citizenship is pretty easy - by kissing the lioness butt.

Our last meal in Barca was Plan B tapas because I underestimated the value of making a reservation on vacation. Or rather I didn't think reservations were even necessary in a land where I imagine people just casually saunter into dinner as the sun lazily sets, and the conversation and drinks flow nonstop into the next morning. But I was not mad about Plan B at Lolita Taperia.
cava sangria

la mojama de atún con almedras (tuna 'mojama' with fried almonds)



las costillitas de conejo con alioli suave (rabbit ribs with a soft garlic mayo)

kokotxas a la romana clásica (hake 'kokotxas' coated in batter)

la gilda (basque 'piparras' with stuffed olive, wrapped by anchovy)

la de quimet (salmon, greek yogurt, truffled honey)
la de bacalao (cod, tomato jam, black tapenade)


Well, okay, so technically my last meal was many slices of dried fruit and nut bread from Baluard. Eaten through airports and hotel lounging when there was nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment