Thursday, March 16, 2017

my timeline of landmines

"Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone." -A Man Called Ove, Fredrick Backman


Alicia wanted 滷肉饭 and who am I to deny someone their food cravings?
We went for the happy hour at Dragon Gate. Braised pork rice, combination five spice braised plate, and a basket of fried quail eggs with basil that exploded a creamy yolk after you pop it in your mouth. Does that sound gross? It's not - trust me.

Regardless of if you have a pressure cooker or slow cooker or wok or dutch oven, braising needs to be in your life. So here's what you should do. Get prepared spice packets for those times you are too lazy to gather all the whole spices but not too lazy to lounge around for several hours while your meat soaks up all the delicious juices and the sauce becomes thick and good enough to eat on its own over rice.
It came in handy the time I had pork feet, and it came in handy the time I bought 5 dozen eggs at Costco and made tea eggs. 
 It's not super relevant to dan dan noodles except that it's another bowl of flavors I grew up on.
With fire-y homemade chili oil that nearly took me down. But I love my food roots.
Wishing I could share this bowl with her. Wishing she was sitting across from me.

happy birthday mommy, miss you like always.

No comments:

Post a Comment