Wednesday, March 22, 2017

first sourdough

I started my leaven two days ago (3/19) with 15g of Tina II, following The Kitchn as my guide.
Planning these things around life is tricky because Andrew's improv show, two drinks, and two tacos, the leaven hung out for 36 hours. And added the water and flour to autolyse this morning (3/21) (with 5g of yeast to help it out just in case).

Now my precious inaugural sourdough is sitting next to me at work (hey, if Nick can have his coffee beans, I can have my sourdough), where it almost doubled in size before the salt water addition. And it smelled fruity and vinegary when I broke into it to squeeze in the salt water.

Post squeezing:

After third fold:

After sixth and final fold [when I realized I didn't have my gloves to go boxing so continued to babysit my bread instead]:

Do you love how even when the sun is shining outside, the lighting in my kitchen still makes this look like a sickly gray blob?

Half shaped and risen 3 hours and ready to go:

By the way, the dough was velvety. Like.. I-wanted-to-make-pajamas-out-of-it-velvety.

Out of the oven and still crackling:

20 min covered at 500F
Amelia is wrapped up in the end of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas but still kinda distracted by reading recipes and summarizing the movie plot to Amy
10 min at 450F
Amelia is pretty engaged in TBitSP 
15 min more uncovered
Amelia is just sobbing all over the place after having removed the lid of the dutch oven during the final scenes of TBitSP
Cooled to room temperature on cutting board
Amelia is kind of cheered up by the sound of bread #1 crackling, and then proceeds to find a happier movie


Super spongey.
Faintly sour taste.
Needs more crust.
Don't pop all the big bubbles during folding like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment