Wednesday, December 28, 2016

no snow in oakland


It's not like snowless winters are a revelation. I did live in NC, after all.
Oakland, snow or no snow, winter or no winter, I'm so into you.
no jerks at Temescal Brewing
Alchemy Bottle Shop
Umami Mart
I think if I had kids, I'd make a big deal over Christmas just to give them something to look forward to. I guess this was the first Christmas I've spent on my own. My drive to get as far away from home finally culminated in me spending four to five leisurely hours on a Sunday night making little donuts. Wait, I know this sounds kinda sad... and maybe at first it was. But then I was picking off pieces of hot dough here and licking icing off my fingers there and by the time I climbed into bed smelling of fry oil and flour, I was pretty satisfied with everything.
Watching the little apple rings of dough bubble and balloon and rise to the top of the oil didn't get old.


lemon icing glaze
-1/2 c powdered sugar
-1t lemon juice
-2-3 spoonfuls milk
-(optional) lemon zest sprinkled on top (especially if your housemate has a little tubful of zest)
And then make more icing with 1 drop red and 2 drops yellow for the donut holes. And give them life with chocolate chips. And admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment