Thursday, November 17, 2016

still average still boring

Never say no to another average and boring weekend with yuANNabelle. I didn't know I had been casually waiting for her visit to explore the East Bay until she visited to explore the EB with me.
Accidentally stumbled into a donut shop that fills to order, purchased things impulsively, and found a speciality market where I searched out all the cheese samples, drooled over the rotisseries and raviolis, and got a rectangle of roasted tomato and olive focaccia to tie me over until lunch.
Focaccia. Focaccia. Focaccia. Happiness. Focaccia.


This was a weekend all about forcing indecisive Ann to make decisions so indecisive Amelia doesn't have to. Which is easy when it comes to foods and walking around - ask her for a trip itinerary, seriously. That's how we ended up at #poke.
Which was like Chipotle for poke. Where it's important to not say "a little bit" because they take it too literally... or conservatively compared to my definition of the phrase. Not sure how, not sure why but I think this was the first time I actually had poke. I sort of retired my burger quest when I drove further and further away from WI. Definitely going to need a new westcoastbestcoast quest, and seafood seems to be the obvious answer.

Supplemented lunch with a butternut squash, onion, and fontina croissant from Tartine Manufactory. (Only regret, that I didn't take two seconds to remember the cross-section of wonderful chunks of squash). I get that long lines are a great marketing strategy and that people perceive things as more delicious when they have to wait hours on hours for that piece or slice or bite. But I don't know.. I think this savory flaky buttery pillow tasted the way new rings feel on my fingers knowing that I didn't have to stand in line to get to it. So what happened was we went to the bathroom through Heath Ceramics and ended up at a door that said Handicap access and took pictures of the shelves and shelves of bread loaves nestled in their baskets. And I kind of just moseyed my way into a line by the bakery case, wondering how it was that it was so short. Maybe all the people in line are trying to dine in, I thought. It wasn't until after getting my number for my croissant that Ann came up to me and said we done messed up. These are the kinds of daring antics we get into... on accident.



Because I run on carbs (and will definitely die early due to it), I couldn't resist the Midwife and the Baker at the Fort Mason Center farmer's market on our way to West Coast Craft. Usually I can trick myself into being satisfied with a couple samples, but I heard the words "chocolate sourdough" and I saw the basket and I witnessed the woman ahead of me purchase one and I knew I had been broken.
Look at this crumb though. Studded with just the right amount of chocolate chips. So beautiful that people standing in line for tacos asked me where I got it. But was it the crumb or the girl amorously eating a loaf of bread for lunch? Either way, get it. Get it asap.

We had to let Ann go after running loose around the craft fair where I fell victim to impulse buying once again. Why am I not talented?!?! Why is everything simultaneously something I could totally make but also something would never be able to make?! I didn't know I had to drown those sorrows in a sammich until passing Bun Mee.
Combo with grilled lemongrass Kurobuta pork, pate de campagne, mortadella, garlic mayo, shaved onion, pickled carrot and daikon, cucumber, jalepenos, and cilantro and crusty crunchy bread. Intense flavors all around. And got my cross-section shot because I learn from my mistakes.
Counting down the days to another average and boring weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment