Tuesday, August 23, 2016

libraries of scandinavia

I'm loving that I have a reputation for loving chocolate, as I sit here with decadent gifts from Lindt, Iceland, France, and Godiva while trying to sort out my emotions and thoughts. Which, let's face it, are probably going to stay permanently jumbled until about 7pm +/- hours tomorrow.
Part of me believes I know my shit, part of me is certain I know nothing, part of me is scared shitless, part of me just doesn't give a fuck anymore, and the last part of me just wants to eat a giant bowl of Cheez-its while watching Miley and Alicia change up The Voice.

So now I'm thinking about libraries.
I forgot how much I love libraries because I never really found one I liked enough on UW campus. And I didn't expect to rediscover that love until I read that Openbare Bibliotheek Amsterdam had a beautiful rooftop view of the city. So I dedicated my last day there to student-ing. Nothing like spending some solid hours in a library to feel like you belong in a new place. Reminded me of studying abroad.
Anyways, the Central Library did, in fact, have a beautiful panorama rooftop view of Amsterdam, complete with rooftop cafe.
The first couple of floors housed exhibits and what looked like student projects. And the rest were quiet study floors with long white tables, swivel chairs by the windows, all awash in soft yellow lighting. And as I was leaving, I found study pods that need to be installed in my office asap.




In Copenhagen, we power walked to the Black Diamond Library minutes before they closed.

The reflection of the sky in the glass - point.
 The clean criss-crossing walk ways and wavy walls in shades of grays and beige - point.
This ceiling - point.

It was situated by the water - point point point.

Naturally I went back to walk through the older historical part just before catching my plane to Stockholm.

I didn't think it wasn't much to look at from the outside. I guess because by this point, I associate libraries with floor-to-ceiling windows and lots of natural light. The C in Stockholm had fallen at some point, so going to Sto_kholm Public Library was more for the sake of tradition than anything else... and some more student-ing.
 Was not disappointed when I walked in. I decided that this is what my kitchen needs to look like. In the center of a circular tower with shelves of cookbooks and food science textbooks and magazines and food writing and I guess my thesis that I'll never crack open.
 Perfect spot to journal and sweets.

Malmo Stadsbiblioteket was another old world-new world structure with writing utensil statues in the front.

Beautiful and bright even during a drizzle. I should've climbed to the top floors because.. omg, but I didn't want to get caught in another torrential downpour like I did earlier.
It was right on the edge of Kungsparken, so as I walked out of the library and through green and more green and water, I couldn't stop picturing how perfect life could be.
You made it right, you made it worth it
I could use a little somethin'
-Stalgia

No comments:

Post a Comment