Tuesday, May 10, 2016

ham party


I was never really a fan of ham. Probably because it only existed as the pale pink deli slices that were just somehow repulsive to me. I was always super upset when I opened up my Lunchables and saw the ham rounds instead of the turkey rounds. Ate them anyways... but I wasn't happy about it. [By the way, the desperation is real in grad school because I caved to that deli ham when it was presented to me as free and up for grabs.]
I guess big honey-glazed hams are an Easter thing. Or a winter holidays thing for some. For me, it was a more of a Tom (of Tom & Jerry) thing. You know what I'm talking about - they're always eating hams in cartoons! But in case you don't..here. And there's usually a pineapple slice somewhere.
Dad got one of those Costco honey-glazed hams once, but I'm pretty sure I took no bites from it. Or if I did, it clearly wasn't memorable.
Well, after sawing off the ham, they gave us the option to let them cure the enormous thing at Bucky's Butcher for cents per pound. Yes, of course, no question.
They returned to us three thick slices and two large end rounds, which Jade glazed with honey mustard so we could feast with frands.
And oh my god. This ham. I couldn't stop. Even when I was ready to explode.
My contribution was cabbage because I somehow always have cabbage. Napa to be exact. With cucumber, peas, and more ham. Mmmham.

peanut ginger dressing [building blocks]
peanut butter
garlic ginger paste
honey
rice vinegar
soy sauce
sesame oil
Mashed potatoes from Jules and root veggies from Bianca. Unpictured fruit salad from Emma and... a  whole cantaloupe from Bryan. And the most delicious chocolate cream pie with a layer of raspberry jam from Jade.
And Jules sitting all alone on the couch cutting up her single ham slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment