Friday, April 15, 2016

slab of belly

Sharing a tiny freezer with three other people means that after stuffing my section full of chops, ribs, roast, feet, and grounds, the enormous slab of belly had to be used immediately. I know my little Uva is on the miniature side of the size scale, but that was not an insignificant portion of belly.
Only a third of it went into twice cooked pork that was potluck contribution and three dinners. But first, look at that cross section (after some shipping and handling and rough cutting).
Deciding what to do with it was not easy. The possibilities are endless. But I've already done braised, so my next favorite Sichuan dish it was. Salty, oily, spicy, fatty deliciousness. I would be very okay with a magic bottomless bowl of this and steamed rice. How long do you think one could sustain themselves in this way?
Skills lacking = the ability to cut a chunk of boiled belly into thin and even slices. Pretty sure I grossed out all my roommates, past and present, preparing this.

Decided to roast the rest of the beast whole. Which was a task if only because I had to skin it with a dull little knife.
But it was well worth it.
Sliced and finished in the pan until the fat was buttery.
And sandwiched in an edible pillow (from the frozen section of Midway) with perfectly sliced cucumbers and scallions (thanks Ziwen) and homemade Sichuan chili sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment