Sunday, March 13, 2016

on the burger wagon

Ended up at Oliver's after exams because it should be a tradition.
I need to establish a go-to cocktail for busy bars without extensive drink menus for me to pour over. I think thus far when I've been pressured and in a panic, I usually go with whiskey sour, which is fine and all, but are Lion's Tails a universally recognizable staple? I love when places have the bartender's choice option given a liquor and taste category.
Jules joins the burger quest. We had a super short "debate" over whether bison counts. It does. And every bite was great. One of the more "refreshing" burgers I've had... but that could also be the salad and natural lighting. 
Bison burger with LTO, roasted garlic aioli, house bun, with side of mixed greens.

Our second stop was Avenue Club.
But since it was pretty much just a normal bar/diner burger on a great, sturdy bun, I'm gonna hop on over down the street (and back in time) to Baldwin Street Grille.
Johanna told me about the existence of this place early last semester. All she had to say was "stuffed burgers."
Bacon Bleu Bubbie stuffed with chopped applewood smoked bacon, bleu cheese crumbles, topped with buffalo sauce and bleu cheese dressing, on Madison sourdough bun.
and
Hot Mamma Bubbie stuffed with jalapenos, red and green peppers, pepperjack cheese, topped with Sriracha aioli, on Madison sourdough bun.
I mostly remember the mess I made.


Audrey joins the burger quest. I feel the sentimentality because it was not two years ago that I met this vegetarian. And since then I got to watch her cut up boneless skinless chicken breast, attempt to fry tilapia, order turkey sandwiches, and now roast whole chickens... and eat red meat. This was a monumental moment.
And she loved it.
I have to admit that I went with the duck wings (confit duck drumettes fried crispy and tossed in chili-plum sauce, with side salad of arugula, radish, celery, grapes, pickled-ginger vinaigrette) when Audrey popped her burger cherry. No regrets, these things were great. And also we went back after booking my tattoo appointment. And then I had to get the burger (above) with a pile of my favorite frites in Madison. Side note though - I might like their sliders better.

I've given up on ranking my burger encounters. But if you asked me where to go if you had only time and stomach space for one burger, I'd probably say Oliver's or Jac's. Tipsy still holds a special place in my heart. And Cooper's gets extra points because it's my favorite bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment