Monday, August 3, 2015

the value of punctuality

I used to pride myself on being the punctual friend.  I hated being late to things, mostly because FOMO.  And that awkward moment when you've walked into a room full of people who are already vibing.
Except after one too many embarrassing moments of pretend-to-be-locked-in-seriously-active-text-convo and/or pretend-to-be-incredibly-interested-in-any-surface-with-written-words, I think I've developed a reputation for being late.
And then, contrary to what you'd think, grad school has not improved my time management skills.  Sometimes I just forget to factor in time of transportation to my transportation method.  Things are made more complicated when I'm late to an event that requires you to bring something.  Because now there needs to be planning to plan for time.
So if you happen to find: friends who often gather for the sake of sharing meals... yourself pressed for time... and you are often late to potlucks, my only advice to you is to stash some fresh or frozen fruit in the cold box and make a cobbler... thing when the time comes.
Step one: rinse, cut, mix fruits of choice (strawberries and blueberries for me) and toss in a Pyrex glass that comes with lid because these things are great
Step two: mix up topping in separate bowl and pack it into a freezer bag with fruit and stick of butter
Step three: assemble at host's home and stick it in the oven while eating the apps and mains
Bonus: nice warm dessert for all
Extra bonus if you have the foresight to bring vanilla ice cream



The tablecloth + Coke plate + warm lighting evoke diner cobbler.  Like the kind of diner off the side of a major highway in the middle of nowhere.  And you stumbled upon it while taking a break from driving in the pouring rain, and you have some four or five hours to go 'til destination.  Also your driving buddy has been nagging you to stop at a rest area.  But it turns out to be the coziest family-owned diner with a menu built on grandma's recipe book.
But by cobbler, maybe I mean crisp.  Which is why I decided to do quick research of the difference between cobblers and crisps and crumbles and buckles and etc.  First, it was in fact a crisp (or a crumble) because cobblers have a biscuit topping - wait, so what did I make here?  But there was some disagreement about what streusel topping has oats and what does not.  Finally, I decided I won't lose any more sleep over whether I contributed a crisp or a crumble.

Sidenote: A bit more clearcut - cornbread.  With a giant handful of blueberries.
Assembled and baked right before bed.
And slowly consumed for breakfasts.
I would gladly be the face of Pyrex glass bakingware if I got a complete set of these things.

So with half a Costco container of blueberries left, I remade a crisp, adapted from here.

Topping

1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c oats, instant, giant bag, gifted from friend moving out
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 c allspice
1/4 t ginger
pinch salt
1/2 stick butter

Filling

half container blueberries
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t lime (or lemon or orange) juice

Toss filling stuffs right in pan.
Mixing a small handful of the topping into the filling before working the butter into the topping is genius because fewer steps and/or ingredients and/or dishes to wash is/are always my favorite thing(s).
Crumble topping over top.
350F for 20-25 min

Almond white chocolate mousse

adapted from here
4oz white chocolate chips
boiling sugar syrup (1/8 c water + 1T sugar)
1/2 t almond extract
1/2 c heavy whipping cream

Methods are the same minus the instant coffee in the cream and plus the extract in the melted chocolate slurry.
All I have to say is that the topping could've benefited from some chopped almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment