Tuesday, April 14, 2015

cure all

Inspiration
Port and Fin
something Polish
Pig Pig's Corner
the Simple Taste kitchen

First time with this herb.  Remember that Rugrats episode where Tommy thinks his mom is growing more of this crying, wailing brother?  No?  Well, let me help you.  That's what came to mind when I was brushing the fluffy leaves against my face.  Dil Pickles - trying to recall the first time I el oh el'd when I finally realized.  Point is, I don't know why I hadn't played with dill sooner.



So salmon was on sale.  Be proud that I did not go overboard by buying 15lbs of the stuff.  Limited myself to two filets - one to sear, one to cure because I had randomly remembered talking about gravlax with Ann over winter break.  This required a special trip all the way out to Woodman's (after just getting back from Metcalfe's) because I needed a big bunch of fresh (and cheap) dill.  First time I called ahead to a grocery store - so easy, why have I never done this before?
I have to admit - I actually ended up abandoning the weights given in the recipes.  Partially because I couldn't commit to how much salt I would need.  Partially because it was late and I didn't want to do real calculations.  I more closely followed the proportions from Pig Pig's Corner, starting with about 15 g of salt, half as much white and brown sugar, the zest of one lemon, and a generous grind of peppercorn.  Mixed all that into a liquidy paste with about half a shot of gin.  Disclaimer: very strong taste/aroma of gin results.
Before piling on the salt cure, though, I dusted my fish with beet powder for color.  Then I panicked a little and sprinkled on a couple more pinches of sea salt.  Covered all of that with a luscious bed of dill.  And sandwiched it together.  And wrapped it up tightly.  And smushed it under a liter of almond milk for 2 days (with flipping once in the morning before work and once after dinner).
It was like Christmas morning when I finally unveiled my drunken fish.  As I said, the scent of gin was unmistakable.  I'm pretty sure I held my breath up until I took a bite...
Success.
Tip: easier to slice after a day in the fridge.  I struggled a bit collecting these bits and pieces off the first half.

Application
Gravlax and bagel.  Gravlax and rice.  Gravlax and baguette.
Gravlax and carbs is so obviously delicious, but I had torched enough carbs in our oven (officially hate that thing) and set off the fire alarm exactly (probably) 27 times.
So what I ended up with after attempting to make this, was this:
Snaps for being healthy.
Mixed spring greens, green peas, roasted asparagus, mozzarella, and sun dried tomatoes from Food Pres with lemon dill dressing (lemon juice, leftover lemon basil syrup -but that's another post, dill oil cube*, white balsamic, S&P)

*Needless to say, I had much dill left over.  It was a week of dill'd foods and whatever I didn't use went into this "life hack" I keep seeing over and over again.  Every time I read one of those lists, I think, "Damn, what a great idea!" but I never actually use any of the tips... until now.  Good thing I've been stingy with my olive oil thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment