Thursday, February 12, 2015

potatoes

Today I learned that green potatoes are not safe to eat due to the glycoalkaloids solanine and chaconine.
A little while ago (specifically on Super Bowl Sunday), I learned that it is very important to check the weather before moving Sunny because I also learned that apparently I don't look like I need help when trying to dig my car out.  But most importantly, I learned that I shouldn't postpone getting an emergency kit and kitty litter any longer.  It was a very eye opening blizzard.
I almost bailed about three times over the course of the day - after making veggie potato skins (with whiskey caramelized onions, spinach sauteed with garlic, and red peppers) - but the number of people hauling food in the snow to Super Bowl parties was inspiring.  Also, if I hadn't run into Amy, I definitely would've quit after three minutes at the bus stop, inspiring or not.


But I was quite satisfied with the dozen potato skins I gobbled down.
I know what you're wondering.  What'd I do with all the scooped out potato guts?
Before I go on, I just want to say that I miss Mint.  And I learned yet another thing.  Cheese melts.  Okay, well, to clarify, I had a craving for Indian food and a 3lb bag of frozen spinach, so I decided to try to make my own saag paneer.  It just wasn't the same (as Mint's), and I was sorely disappointed.  [I also tried it again, but that's another post.]  On my hunt for paneer, I could only find something descriptively named Arabian cheese.  It looked enough like paneer (white, block, firm).  It tasted mild, slightly salty, like paneer.  Was kind of chewy.  But when I went to pan fry a handful of cubes, they started reducing into puddles.  It was a sad sight.
Next time, I'm getting ricotta and making my own.
So whatever.  I threw half the cubes in the saag.  And mixed the other half with my tikka masala mix from this time and ate it all with some rice as I mulled over how to fix the flaws.
At least I was able to remedy the cheese tikka masala concoction.  Browned some potatoes, mixed in the tikka and scallions/Sriracha.  Lunch.
Browned the rest of the potatoes.  Tossed in spinach, red peppers, tomatoes, onions, and cheddar.  Topped with sunny side up egg...
.... that was just as happy to see me as I it.
Breakfast for dinner.  Too good.
By the way, pretzel salt is the seasoning of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment