Friday, December 19, 2014

the value of waking up early

This was a lesson we learned more than a month ago.  Saturday brunch in Madison is not for the casual and starving.  It involves subtle planning, but not too much planning because so many places don't actually take reservations around here... *grumbles*
After checking about four places with hour long waits or early close times, we finally ended up at Brasserie V (and that is "vee," not "five" like I kept saying) and not even for brunch.  Because it was lunch time.  Because we suck.  But as much as I wanted some breakfast foods, I was starving from the hunt.
I only half beat myself up for not ordering the burger, but that duck confit sandwich.  Such brunch.  Much drool.  And it came on a Stella's bun, a Madison favorite I had yet to try.  It almost looks like a burger though... enough so that Kasia (who did go with the V burger) and I were momentarily confused.
Funny thing about perspective.  You constantly have to be reminded that not everyone knows the same things or has the same opinions.  Especially with food.  My brain actually forgets how to brain when I meet someone who isn't as excited about eating as I am.  I knew someone once who thought eating was like a chore.  Uh, what?  Wait... what?  No but... what?  I don't... understand.  (Side note: I once knew someone else who said that about sleeping, too... I'm not sure how I happen upon these folks, but needless to say, we are not friends today.)
Okay, but that's like the most extreme case of bewilderment my poor little brain must process through.  The incident at brunch was just a silly reminder of how food science can change your relationship with food.
Kasia didn't know what dry aged beef is, and I'm ashamed to say I couldn't adequately describe it to her.  I mean, I don't know.  You (or... me) hear "dry aged beef" and you just know it's a good thing but I couldn't formulate a sentence to explain the process and flavor, so she asked the waitress, who asked the chef, and came back to report:
"Okay, it's kind of gross... like it sounds gross but it tastes good!  It's so enzymes can digest the meat and it becomes juicier ... "
Or you know, not exactly, but that's basically what she said.
Gross.
Gross?
Hmm, they think it sounds gross.  That's interesting.  Here I am, thinking that description sounds... neutral... like... it's just fact.  It's what it is.  It's the "gross" why behind the what, a what that is often delicious.  It's like when people freak out about mold on cheese and I'm like "dude, cheese is... mold."  I mean, basically.  How can something (enzymes) so integral to your life and body be gross?  (Okay, put that way, I just realized that I can't explain why bodily excretions are gross.)  Let's disregard that and talk about how enzymes are cool and crucial things.
Or actually, let's not, and let's just talk about fries.  Fantastic Belgium style fries with honey chipotle (which was more honey than chipotle so ehh) and garlic aioli.  I love a good crispy but still fleshy fry, and I don't care what weird looks my brunch mates gave me, the best part are those little crunchy bits at the bottom of a basket (or cone).  Probably the best batch of fries I've had in Madison thus far.  (Cooper's ain't bad either.)  Mad City Frites, I'm coming for you - don't disappoint.  Fries really are the most craveable foods.  Thank you kind man or woman, whoever you are.

Time to go cheer on Amy and Maya in the finale.  Because I give up and forget exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment