Monday, December 8, 2014

struggles on your own

If you live with me... or know me... at all, you'd know horizontal is my preferred state of being and laying around (sleep or no sleep) is basically my top priority.  Having roommates like Jeanette and Laura who accept and understand this unparalleled laziness has spoiled me.
There are few feelings of urgency that can disrupt this balance (obviously hunger).  Sometimes I'm not quite sure whether sleep or food is more important.  Depends on the situation, of course.  But I'm finding that the time before and after breaks are a dangerous time for balanced meals and proper nutrition.  You see, I can definitely get my ass off the couch at home when I know the fridge is well-stocked and full of delicious leftovers.  The problem is when I'm forced to feed and take care of myself and the fridge inevitably becomes barren, and I have little to no will power to go grocery shopping even if the store is a 5-10 minute walk away.
That's why I've taken to freezing things.  Because I know there will be many a time period when the idea of going out to obtain food is too much of a hassle when it means I have to put on pants and brave the cold...and spend money.
Prior to Thanksgiving break (I'm very behind), I was faced with the ultimate first world problem of much perishable food to consume... but nothing I really want.
An awesome perk of food science-ing is the random and frequent opportunities for free food.  I've come across bagels and brownies and milk and croissants and cheese and so much candy, it's absurd.  There was a day I found some adorable cherry tomatoes during a time when my vegetable intake was low due to the fact that I put a restriction on grocery shopping.  So you could say I felt inspired when I took a few tomatoes home with me.
I always try to keep frozen veggies (kale, farmer's market red peppers) and meat (drumsticks) on hand, for I learned in Aussie, that in a pinch, frozen food and some sort of carb are a life saver (hunger satiate-r).  I also had a sad looking cucumber and 32oz of yogurt for no apparent reason because I never consume yogurt on its own --> herbless tzatziki sauce.  And I always, always, have onions on hand.  A can of chickpeas that ended up in my cupboard because I thought I would make tons of 'healthy desk snacks.'  Tortillas were luckily part of the same impulse buy as that tub of yogurt (can you believe I don't have a supply of rice?), and the end result of it all was a Mediterranean wrap with oregano and lemon marinated chicken.
This is why I like to prepare for the times I know I won't be prepared.
Like this past week for instance...

No comments:

Post a Comment