Thursday, August 30, 2012

always go down the little streets

Bum-bum Bum-bum Bum-bum bum bum bumbumbumbum...
I think that possibly, maybe I'm falling for you.

I kind of splurged here.
Because it was just the most adorable place I've ever seen.
Starting with the name: Cafe Giraffe (or Giraffe Cafe... I still don't know)
It really just sounds like a place that would inspire cuteness - that plus Urbanspoon recommendations lead to a while-long hunt for the place that included going to the wrong direction, asking randos smoking outside Melbourne Central, and hurriedly passing a patch of construction on a narrow road.



 Whole meal consisted of a chai soy latte, pumpkin Turkish melt (with greens), and passionfruit bread pudding (with chocolate sauce) because I couldn't decide whether to go for savory or sweet, and got a free drink with the savory choice.
Two things they just absolutely love here are pumpkin and passionfruit
as noted by all the roasted pumpkin soups/sandwiches and passionfruit desserts I've passed.
Hey, definitely not complaining.
The Turkish melt was definitely beyond satisfactory (even when eaten cold because pumpkin is just so versatile), and the bread pudding was orgasmic.
Pumpkin and mozzarella, not a combination I would consider, but it's going into my mental recipes collection - maybe as a pizza.
I ate off the crispy, crusty bread tops (with plenty of chocolate) and saved half the custard for muesli at a later time in the week.

Stepping in, it didn't seem like much.  Going just a few steps further into the back area, it opens up into an eclectic Asian-feel-ish cafe with mismatching furniture and dainty decorations.  Their place holders were even different animals instead of numbers (we were the bear table).
My favorite was the tree in the middle pinned with notes written on scratch paper, receipts, and cards.
If I opened a cafe, this is how it would be done.

Midsemester break is coming up so soon - time to panic yet?
Two more weeks until Singapore//Auckland
...but not before food chem midterm + olives paper + plant collection (yes... I have to do a plant collection - picture confused little Asian girl ducking between trees and scouring campus landscape to collect mosses and ferns, just a tad awkward).

I never knew just what it was about this old coffee shop I loved so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment