Wednesday, June 13, 2012

day 4//Sono

BANANAS AND YOGURT and vegetable soup?
Not much you can do with that except make a banana smoothie... which I don't prefer.  Something about drinking my bananas I guess - not a fan.

So let's talk about Sono.
Between Frank and I, we killed the following:

Salmon Carpaccio: scottish salmon, ikura, mustard ponzu, chives, micro greens, scorched with hot oil blend

Gently cooked on the outside, raw on the inside, room temperature dish of which I would've licked the plate clean had there not been other human beings around.  The sauce was absolutely delicious (we kept it for sushi dipping after the waiter couldn't find bread).

 Spicy Tuna Taco: ahi tuna tartare, avocado mousse, micro wasabi, flying fish caviar, jalapeno aioli, crispy wonton "taco"

Usually I overlook the word "taco" (though recently I've been craving them like no other... but the Mexican kind with tripe and carnitas and fresh tomatoes/lettuce and such), which is why we were eyeing the pork belly slider, but the description was hard to ignore.  Avocado mousse?  Yes please, and next project once I'm done with this stupid diet.
No regrets obviously.  The only flaw of this bite-sized taco was that it was... bite-sized.  Could I just get like... seven more please?

Maki Combo: choice of two special rolls (excluding the $100 roll.. bummer)
Magic Carpet (king crav, avocado, salmon tartare, micro wasabi and tobiko oshi-zushi style) - favoriteeee 
and 
Super star (spicy scallop, kaiware, cucumber, blue fin tuna, avocado, three different tobiko)


Magma (crab salad and avocado flash fried and topped with scallop mix, wasabi mayo and eel sauce) - tempura fried made for an interesting texture and I made the mistake of trying to eat the whole thing in one bite after Frank gave me shit for trying to cut it in half with my chopsticks, yeah... don't do that unless you have much experience with shoving large things in your mouth... 
and that leads us to the next roll
Screaming "O" (spicy tuna, tempura shrimp, seared tuna, special "O" sauce, masago, chives) - favoritee, as determined by the next words that came immediately after swallowing: "Ohh my God"


 Mission Fig Tart: mission fig brulee on pastry creme in a tart shell with guava puree

Love.  Figs.  That is all.
Though the desserts confused me just a bit.  Why so... French-like?  I guess I would've preferred something less dense with cream (though I love cream.. and cheese... and creamy cheeses) after scarfing down the sushi.

Mandarin Orange Crepe: mandarin oranges and mascarpone crepe with ginger sorbet

I still see no sorbet.
Oh, backtrack, Frank looked like a dick asking for the menu and the whereabouts of the ginger sorbet, after which the waiter (who apparently loved him - and topped off our water after only a single sip) insisted was on top.
But I still see no sorbet.  It would've really lightened up the dish, which I agree was too creamy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment